In a dark and stormy night, Rick and his girlfriend Jeniffer take refuge
in the creepy West mansion, only to find himself dead and Jeniffer
missing! Now, a mysterious sacrificial mask with amazing powers brings
him back from the dead and in order to free himself from its curse, he
must destroy the evil lurking deep within the mansion and save Jennifer
in the process! Features some of the goriest graphics ever seen at its
release date, awesome music & sound effects, lots of the typical
toys seen in horror flicks (knives, etc) as well as lots of challenge!
Splatterhouse was banned in most arcades in the US due to its violent
nature as well as some questionable bosses such as the chapel boss (The
inverted cross). Splatterhouse was the first game to get a parental
- Friday the 13th movies
- The third boss wears a bag for a mask just like Jason Voorhees did
on the first three movies and Rick's mask resembles the well-know hockey
mask that Jason wears in the later movies of the series until the
Jason X movie in which he gets a totally different new look.
- Evil Dead movies
- Many concepts were borrowed from these particular movies such as:
- House deep within the woods where a famed scientist unleashes some
very evil demonic power;
- The fight between Rick and his evil twins;
- The evil severed hands that even taunt him;
- The possessed room with flying furniture;
- The necromancer's zombies that just won't die;
- Rick's quest to rescue Jennifer, only to find her possessed and
turned into a cackling demon hungry for his blood!
- The Exorcist
- When fighting against demon Jennifer, she recovers her sanity for a
few brief moments and begs for your help just before turning into a
demon once again, something quite similar is seen in this horror classic.
- The H-man
- The sludge monsters seen in the sewer levels seem somewhat similar
to the liquid people seen in this old Japanese horror flick.
- The possessed room may also have been inspired by this movie.
- The leeches seen at the end of the first stage as well as in many
other later levels are cleary based on the creatures seen in this pseudo
- The big headed monsters whose heads fly off and attack before dying
are very reminiscent of the gruesome brain-eating monster seen in this
- Dr. West is largely believed to be Herbert West who was featured
prominently in H.P. Lovecraft's story
Herbert WestReanimator, who was
subsequently featured in the